Thread: TROUBLE
View Single Post

Old 09-11-2020, 09:53 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,491 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merl67 View Post
With all the reloading manuals available, as well as most powders having data online I really don't understand asking in a forum setting. Maybe with primers, but unless you are loading to max pressures I can't see using brand x vs brand y making a whole lot of difference unless you are a competitor in shooting sports.

During the last powder drought (2008) I saw a lot of posts about can I use this for that. I was caught short without pistol powder as I had just started loading 45 ACP, and 38 spl. There was no Bullseye available so I had to find something else. I had 8 lbs of American Select from my trap shooting days that ended. There was no load data available for that powder for metal cartridges at that time because it was marketed as a shotgun powder. I searched the internet for load data and found very little. So I took it upon myself to work up a load that I still use. I would not recommend this as something someone should do but my experiment paid off. Now Alliant has data because people were screaming for it. It's a pretty good pistol powder in my estimation but people still don't consider it because of too many powders being marketed as "pistol powder"

Novices should stay away from anything that doesn't have load data from the powder manufacturer, but I see a time coming when we get hit with the "will this work for that" again. It's deja vu all over again.

My personal opinion is we're heading into a drought that will make 2008 look like a picnic.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 09-11-2020 at 09:57 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: