View Single Post

Old 09-12-2020, 11:31 PM
US Veteran

Liked 4,491 Times in 2,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
I bought a M97 that had a 26" Full choke barrel. I found a 20" barrel and trimmed it to 18 1/2". I carried it in my patrol car before (and after) the PD provided shotguns.

I was doing a qualification one time where we were given five 00 buckshot shells and five slug rounds. We put the 00 in one pocket and the slugs in a pocket on the other side. We were to shoot the slugs at 50 yards and the 00 at 25 yards. Well, I got a mite confused and fired my 00 at 50 yards. I told the range officer and he laughed at me. He quit laughing when we checked the targets and I had put all 45 buckshot into the 50 yard target. And this was with an open choked barrel.

My old M97 now guards my bedroom and it ain't for sale!
My 97 short barrel is Cyl, or no choke. Shot patterns are outrageous. I once took careful aim at a jack rabbit somewhere around 25 yards using #6 shot. After the dust cleared he was still there untouched. He casually ran away. I think most modern HD shotguns have some choke in the barrel but I don't own one so I don't know. Cyl will take out a lot of stuff inside of 10 yards. I have a sxs gun with Cyl and Mod for ruffed grouse that's magic for those close shots. Makes me look like Wild Bill Hickock.

Last edited by LostintheOzone; 09-12-2020 at 11:34 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: