View Single Post

Old 09-14-2020, 11:12 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 949 Times in 510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy1 View Post
Hey thanks for the tips. Sorry I was busy today, Sunday. Yes, I had the mag out. I'll disassemble as much of the frame as I can. I'll call S&W for any advise they can provide. I doubt they'll offer for me to send it to them for repair. If they do, it would probably be a six month wait considering COVID. Whacking with a mallot is of course absolute last resort. One thing I'm thinking about doing is grabbing the guide rod with a pair of vice grips to compress the recoil spring. Maybe it'll free up the assembly so I can get the slide off. I'm willing to let the guide guide rod get chewed up a bit. This so feakin wierd because the slide racks fine otherwise when the gun is assembled. BTW, I also used Kroil penetrating oil. That stuff is magic for most uses but didn't seem to help free up the slide in this case.

I would not dismiss SW option - I had a 5904 with problem reassembling after I had some difficulty getting slide off (nothing like what you had - it was just stiff). It also had recalled grip. I emailed and told them what I had. They send return Fedx label with understanding that if it was not covered by warranty, they would give me estimate before proceeding.

Pistol went back first week of August and I heard nothing but it showed up today (5 weeks) working fine, with correct new grips, and looking like new. I understand that there have been others with less positive experiences, but I would have to rate my experience as A+++ despite Covid.
The Following User Likes This Post: