View Single Post

Old 09-14-2020, 06:27 PM

Liked 2,954 Times in 1,054 Posts

I have two youth single shot 410 shotguns, including a Rossi combo with a .22. I have had them for over 20 years and use them frequently. They are an excellent introduction to shotgunning those for youth and for people unfamiliar with shotguns.

It is the next step up from shooting a .22. It introduces recoil and the spread of shot compared to a bullet. First I have these relatively new shooters hit stationary clay targets on the ground. I find they can hit hand thrown clays thrown up and straight out from them often enough to enjoy it. I use light loads.

I had one of them cut back 2” on the barrel to eliminate the choke. I also shortened the stock about an inch and then added a nice soft recoil pad. This is the true starter shotgun for kids.

When an individual is comfortable with the 410, I transition them to a 28 gauge over/under, and then a 20 gauge. I view the 410 as a transition gun, not an end-all be-all gun. I have had dozens of scouts, about 20 grandchildren and friends, and half dozen ladies follow this path. I expect many more to do the same.

To answer the OP, my first SS .410 cost $89 from Walmart. It was made by New England Firearms, but that has been absorbed by H&R. It is the Pardner (compact) model. It is available from a few on-line retailers and perhaps locally. Mine has a nice case hardened receiver and good wood.

The Rossi Combo is available also. I might get the .22 WMR barrel rather than the 22 LR.

Mossberg has a range of .410 pumps, including the 510 Mini Super Bantam with stock spacers.

Lots of choices. I recommend the Federal Top Gun 2.5” #9 loads for beginners. Walmart had some a few weeks ago for under $10/box.
The Following User Likes This Post: