Thread: C.Oa.L.
View Single Post

Old 09-15-2020, 07:08 AM

Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default I think we have a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
What style Berry's bullets is that? Flat nose, round nose, hollow point with a flat tip?

Lee's seating die is for round nose bullets but the majority of bullets I load are JHPs which actually have a flat tip.

Using a flat seating plug, on flat tipped bullets, will give you a lot more consistent COAL" than when you use a round seating plug.

Believe me, like you an inconsistent COAL" drives me crazy, especially with max loads seated to max. COAL.

You can order a flat seating plug from Lee, if that's what you require, no need to send a sample bullet for these.

Use this link:
Custom Bullet Seating Plug - Lee Precision

I do believe you have the answer! Yes, these are flat and didn't give that a second thought. I checked the length on a dozen or so bullets and they were too consistent to lead to much variance in OAL.

I've been using precision instruments for 40 years. I have grown picky, but this is more than me being picky. It is what should be a dialed in set of dies producing inconsistent results. the round seating tool vs. flat surface makes a whole lot of sense. Thanks!
The Following User Likes This Post: