Thread: WOW just WOW
View Single Post

Old 09-15-2020, 01:49 PM

Liked 7,379 Times in 2,512 Posts
Thumbs down

Well, if this doesn't just illustrate exactly what I was talking about in regards to folks knowing absolutely nothing about economics, then I don't know what will...

Prices fluctuate in accordance with supply and demand, ergo monitoring the going rate of a product in attempt to estimate it's market value is most certainly NOT price-gouging, especially not if you're actually charging LESS for your wares than the competition!
That's Economics 101 and only a total ignoramus would ever label that as price-gouing, so evidently certain folks don't even understand the definition of the term "price-gouging" given the absurdity of their overtly defensive statements about how they attempt to get a feel for the going rate and adjust their prices accordingly.

Price-gougers DO NOT charge less than the going rate, they charge substantially more, hence why it is called "price-gouging".

Quote:
Verb
(transitive) To cheat or impose upon; in particular, to charge an unfairly or unreasonably high price.

Synonyms: defraud, swindle
The company has no competition, so it tends to gouge its customers.
Furthermore, scalpers don't strictly adjust their prices based on the current market value in accordance with supply and demand, but attempt to manipulate it through buying up as much of a product as they can in order to create or worsen a shortage, thus enabling them to artificially inflate their prices and reduce competition by depleting the local supply.

TL;DR: If you aren't deliberately charging well over the established market value beyond a margin of error, then you aren't price-gouging and thus have no valid reason to be offended by what I'm saying.