View Single Post

Old 09-16-2020, 01:24 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

When you say you don't have a LEO permit, I'm assuming you're referring to LEOSA. If that's the case, NY and NJ are definitely out, as well as DC. There may be others, but I'm not aware of them.

For everywhere else, the 686 is probably going to give you the least potential for problems. As I mentioned in your other thread, revolvers are probably going to be the most acceptable type of firearm. Even if semi-autos aren't necessarily banned, some places, and the people who run them, may perceive them as "evil."

Personally, I'd use my 642-1, as it's easily concealed in a variety of methods (IWB, OWB, AIWB, pocket, ankle, shoulder, etc.) if going somewhere concealed carry is allowed. Use 148gr WC in HP-restricted jurisdictions. And if it gets "lost" during baggage handling, it's not something I'm going to cry over and can replace fairly easily.

Of course, the problem is if something happens and your flight ends up getting diverted to one of the no-go locales. I had an acquaintance who was flying with a gun (legally, unloaded and locked in checked baggage) when his plane had to be diverted to NYC, a location that was not on his itinerary. When he tried to change planes, he was arrested and now has a misdemeanor conviction on his record. NY and NJ have a reputation for ignoring federal firearm transportation laws. Even if you were to somehow win in court, that's going to cost you a lot of time and money.

If I were planning a flight somewhere, and there was a possibility that my flight could get diverted to NY or NJ, I wouldn't even bother bringing a gun.

Just my opinion.
The Following User Likes This Post: