View Single Post

Old 09-16-2020, 09:59 PM

Liked 29,393 Times in 10,932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharfschuetzer View Post
I wondered if it would use a conventional gas piston. Good idea to drop the direct impingement (Lgungmen-Stoner) gas operation for a more conventional gas piston. While the direct impingement system is very reliable, dumping gas directly into the action results in a lot of cleaning and eventual carbon build up.

At one point in the early 2,000s my unit was to convert our M4A1 uppers to a gas piston design, but numerous post 9-11 hits to the budget cancelled that conversion.

Regarding the G36, I once trained and shot with a Spanish Army team who liked their G36 weapons.
I'll take Ljungman/MAS 49 style of direct impingement over Stoner's interpretation any day in a 5.56 weapon. Stoner's system is clever in that it keeps the forces in line with the bore, but in downsizing it from the AR-10 to 5.56 NATO the components got smaller while the crud that jams up guns stayed the same size.

The Ljungman/MAS 49 system only dumps gas into a recess in the bolt carrier instead of mixing it around the bolt/carrier interfaces like Stoner.