View Single Post

Old 09-20-2020, 06:40 PM

Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Default Thanks 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
I've taught a lot of folks to handload, from zero to full bore. Some in person, most via e-mail and txt. I've enjoyed bringing others in to this hobby and I love giving back to a community that has given me so much. When I started handloading, the internet wasn't yet a reality at home in any form. I started with a Speer#11 and my local gun store was, frankly, obnoxious and unhelpful. I had no mentor, I had only the manual. I was 16 years old.

So the gun forums opened a huge new world to me when it came to learning and sharing about handloading.

I say all of THAT^^^ in hopes of telling you honestly where I come from and my motivation for what I'll say next. I'm a helpful person, it is NOT my goal to be condescending, mean or hurtful. I'm here to help, even if it doesn't sound like it.

No, no, and No.

Your first EVER time out and not only did you make a squib, but you feel satisfied with the experience.

I'd set the bar a lot higher than that. I think it would help you to set some tangible checks and balances in place to prevent failures like a squib and/or potentially catastrophic failures (such as another squib with different results or double charged rounds or worse)

I can definitely help with these checks and balances, I'm more than happy to give very specific suggestions on how and what to change, and how they work and how they can benefit you. I'm not here to condemn you, but your first ever box of ammo to the range and it was a failure on a realistic scale. Calling it otherwise could be deemed optimistic, but that surely isn't helpful. You are very lucky that a gun didn't get wrecked... or worse.
7, I take no offense to your critique. I shouldn't appear so nonchalant about it. I'm experienced enough to pay attention to every pull of the trigger and recognize what happens if another round is fired. The same with lite pin strikes - I call them "Click, no boom" I've had a could of those on factory ammo recently.

Today I thoroughly went over all my reloads by brand of brass, load and bullet to ensure the weight eliminated the possibility of a double or a squib. I pulled bullets on several. No other problems found.

Yes, going forward, I would love to know your checks and balances.

Interesting to me is the fact that so much reloading equipment is backordered but so few new people are showing up on the forums. I know there are a lot of new freeloaders out there.
The Following User Likes This Post: