View Single Post

Old 09-27-2020, 05:46 PM

Liked 17,297 Times in 6,648 Posts

I don't know if they are collectible or if people realize that even though they are "ancient" they are still very reliable for self defense.

Maybe both, but right now all handguns and shotguns seem to be at a premium.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&W59 View Post
About a year ago I had stated here that then was the golden age of vintage S&W auto-pistol collecting. That prices were still reasonable and choice/supply was decent. I was mocked saying that Vintage S&W autos were never going to be collectible. The prices seem to bear out what I was saying and predicting. Once abundant selections are now spartan. I believe the prices for vintage all metal pistols like the S&W line will begin to have either linear or exponential price increase because there is a growing segment that favor all-metal guns over polymer pistols. Polymer is the future due to economics of production and the virtues of lighter, non-corroding components. What startles me is the prices being asked for pistols that cost a fraction of of their retail pricing to produce, but I guess its what ever the market will bear. Keep in mind its unlikely the prices for vintage pistols will decrease unless they find hidden vaults of unsold guns in the basement of some shut-down distributor or gunshop. The end of production of a genre of firearms usually means the existing examples appreciate in value over time.