View Single Post

Old 09-29-2020, 01:48 PM

Liked 4,510 Times in 1,657 Posts
Default Single Action Box variations

I'm getting close to posting all of what I've found so far but wanted to touch first on the Single Action 38 boxes.

It hasn't taken much effort to confirm a total of 9 different types of 38 Single Action boxes. These include the Baby Russian, 2nd and 3rd model.

The Baby Russian so far is confirmed as only in Picture boxes having either Partitions or no Partitions. Boxes having different type tools/bore brushes. Differences to the instruction labels is obvious with various red ink corrections and several different variations of wording details to the actual operating instructions.

The 2nd model is found having an oval label on top of the box lid and not having a label on top. I have seen mint condition boxes with no label and no evidence of a label ever being on the box lid. Some boxes have partitions and some do not. Some actually have a thick 3 piece base and some do not.
Some with the thick base have cut outs where the partitions would normally reside but the box is often found lacking the partitions with no evidence that the partitions were ever installed.

The Rare 3rd model is the transitional box. Earliest guns are seen in late dark Green boxes with very unusual modified boxes that have voided the partitions. This is obviously due to the 3rd model often having a trigger guard and the gun will not fit in a partitioned box with the trigger guard. (Lots of questions come up about this modified box set up).

If you look at the photo you can clearly see the thick base having cut outs for partitions but lacking same. They are not removed. They were never installed. Look closely.

The later 3rd models introduced a new type of instruction label having the caliber and barrel length on top of the instructions on the inner lid. This is a consistent change
with later boxes and is found common to all calibers in this study. This later box represents a late 1890's to early 1900's time frame box design. Also a different darker black color to box material is the most common variation having a Black & white label. The label can also be found on either side of the box. The gun can also be found stored pointing in either direction. Normally having the barrel pointing towards the label. I've also documented this unusual feature on all of the double action models and boxes.

I'm not reaching any conclusions regarding this study since there seem to be "many" box variations and even "modified" boxes to conform to new gun types and the selling of additional gun products such as 3in1 oil, different tools, and bore brushes. This to me only strongly suggests that the Major Distributor was deeply involved in these box types/variations of same and also the partition issue can not be discounted as just a random feature! There was "purpose" to these partitions. Especially when they have been "purposely removed or not included, to fit a new type gun in the earlier model box"!! I still believe that the Distributor was the motivating factor to these box variations. To what extent remains uncertain.

Murph
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 23381B1C-BA82-47A1-AB24-ACBF56F7CF31.jpg (23.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg D6B751B4-7DBF-459F-A13F-BF3112951F20.jpg (50.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 6AF438D4-DE35-40CA-95EC-515AE63FFE5A.jpg (80.3 KB, 28 views)

Last edited by BMur; 09-29-2020 at 03:34 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: