Thread: 45 shield
View Single Post

Old 10-02-2020, 12:40 PM

Liked 10,643 Times in 3,000 Posts

Here's a review of my Shield 45 I posted back in March:

Shield 45

Purchased February, 2017
Round count: 7,661
Accuracy scores (percentage of shots in a 4"X4" square over my last 15 range sessions): 15 yards, 404/565 = 72%; 20 yards, 369/728 = 51%

Comment: I love this gun. It’s easy to carry, its recoil is surprisingly mild, and its 15-yard accuracy is astonishing. (The attached target photo shows one of my better days at 15 yards with my Shield 45.) I can’t believe that it is so accurate with such a short barrel. It outshoots every other pistol I have, including my SIG P320 compact. The only exception is my FNX 45 Tactical with its 5.25” barrel and Vortex red dot.

I did have the original magazine followers, so I had a bunch of failures to feed initially, but after I received the redesigned followers, the FTFs went away, and it has been very reliable since. I added a Hogue grip which has helped to improve my accuracy. My main challenge is shooting one handed. The combination of a small gun and a big round means you need a very firm grip and a firm trigger pull, or you’ll limp wrist it into a failure to feed. But those have diminished with practice. Overall, however, I have no reservations about carrying my Shield 45. Even though my 40c usually gets chosen for my daily carry, it’s because of its greater round capacity, not because of its greater ability. Anyone considering the purchase of a Shield should consider the 45 first. It is superior to the 9 in every way, except capacity. And to me, it’s worth giving up one extra round for the superiority of the 45.

From a good range session:

Long-Term Report on M&P 40c, Shield 9, & Shield 45-img_0106-jpg

Last edited by swsig; 10-07-2020 at 05:25 PM.