View Single Post

Old 10-04-2020, 04:14 PM

Liked 160 Times in 54 Posts
Default 1,000 fps from 2" barrels w/ manageable recoil

Read here, from various manuals, and from the writings of Elmer. Skeeter, and Taffin before setting out to work up a load that would drive a 150-165 grain bullet about 1,000 fps out of my little Ruger LCR (1 7/8" barrel) and my S&W 640 Pro (2 1/8" barrel). I had hopes I could find a load whose recoil would permit reasonably quick sight acquisition in case follow-up shots were needed. Recoil might also be an issue in case I had to fire single-handedly, using either hand.

I'm a couple weeks in and think I have found THE load for my snubbies. It consists of a little over a grain more than what my old manuals list as the starting load of 2400 behind a 358156 out of a Lyman mold in a .357 case. I've tested (untimed fire) out to 15 yards and have found accuracy very acceptable.

I chronographed yesterday and found that the LCR was averaging 995.6 fps ten feet from the muzzle with an extreme spread for 5 shots of 21.9 fps. The 640 wasn't far behind in either category.

I fired a few one-handed shots with the 640 in my strong hand today. Accuracy seems doable. Speed will take some practice. Work with my weak hand and timed fire will hopefully take place one day this week.

The 358156 doesn't lend itself to quick re-loads out of my speed loaders. I may be on the lookout for a bullet with a similar point of impact but a less-pronounced shoulder for that purpose.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: