View Single Post

Old 10-05-2020, 11:09 PM

Liked 299 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfool View Post
It is amazing how just a slight difference in thickness can make such a difference in how it feels carried ISWB, though the difference is less pronounced carried OWB. Better trigger as well, though the 26 isn't bad.

As far as magazine capacity goes, all else being equal, more is always better.

A lot of folks quote the statistic the average gun fight is something like "2.7 shots at 3 to 5 feet". That means 49% of armed encounters are going to involve more shots at longer ranges.......

Larry
That's a great point about IWB. I carried several G26's for years, but personally, I never carried them IWB. In my opinion, the shortness of the grip (even shorter than a P365) negates the need for IWB in my opinion. With my body type, a G26 does not print at all wearing a t-shirt so long as I don't have to tuck it in. If I have to do that, I'm going with my thinner Shield or my Ruger LCP II. OWB is so much more comfortable that I don't carry my M&P Subcompact IWB either (in fact, I use the same Mitch Rosen UPL holster that I carried my Gen4's & Gen5 G26's in). So not only do I have a bigger yet better shooting gun with the M&P Subcompact than the P365 (in my hands, and, to a lesser extent, this goes as well for the M&P Shield), but like I said earlier, the extra weight and dimensions do nothing to hurt concealment, so that's why I passed on the P365 and bought the two M&P M2.0 Smiths instead (i.e. I gain nothing with the P365 but lose a bit of shootability and capacity in the case of the Subcompact).

I did, however, also gain something with the Shield. Most of my pistols do NOT have manual safeties (and I prefer it that way), but when building my current cache I did purposely get one on my Shield so I have at least one gun that provides that extra layer of protection as an option. I thought about the safety on the P365, but the one on the Shield is better for how I use it. For example, I never carry with a manual safety engaged. I only holster it appendix with the manual safety on and then disengage it once it is seated, and because the manual safety on the Shield does not protrude from the frame (it is flush) I have little to no chance of accidently actuating it in my opinion (and never have).

You're also exactly right about capacity. If you're not giving up anything, the extra capacity is a no brainer. Although in my experience that is seldom the case, when it is, more is more, and that's a good thing. The Smith & Wesson M&P Subcompact is 4.3" in height just like the P365 (which is the more critical dimension for me), but it adds two rounds for a total of 13! (Again, that's a no brainer in my case).

As far as the average number of shots in a gunfight is concerned, again, you're right; however, we also have to consider that that, despite the occasional outlyer, the 49% is going to still be within the capacity of even a Shield with a flush magazine (which is still twice the capacity as the alleged average gunfight). And that's why I chose the Shield because its still thinner and it's enough rounds, so for me, and my fluctuating weight, there was no upside for me having a P365 when you think about the statistics (only a slight loss in performance and comfort as it doesn't fit my hand as well either). But that's not true for others, and for those people the P365 is a better choice.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: