View Single Post

Old 10-06-2020, 02:55 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default M&P 22 Compact misc problems

Looking for some help and advice on a new m&p 22 compact. I have plenty of center fires mostly S&W and never had a rimfire but in today’s market I went to a 22lr to start students out with and picked this model because it is basically the same size as the Shield. A lot of these new people have never even held a gun before so it seems like a good way to work them into a larger caliber and way easier to get ammo. I have tried to read through the forums best I could.

I shot about 300 rounds through it and started having some failure to extract issues and failure to fire problems. I guessed it was the different types of ammo I was testing and breaking it in. You can hear the firing pin strike and see a dimple in the back of the casing but it looks like they may have been a little light of a strike. I have read up on trying multiple types of ammo which I did a couple of which are listed:

-Federal - Gold Medal Round Nose 22LR
-Winchester Western .22 Long Rifle 36-Grain
-Thunderbolt

I did not clean it after 300 because I figured after only 300 rounds it would be ok since I was going back out right away and have never had a problem with this method on a center fire. I went out a couple of days later and after about 100 rounds it was having one issue after another about every third round. On a couple I could rack it and get it to eject after a couple try’s. I was pretty much ready to give up on it but decided to try one last mag and the last shot the back of the casing blew out sideways like in the picture (obviously it was made safe and put back into the bag at that point). Not a comfortable feeling.

I cleaned the you know what out of it and went back again yesterday to try it again. Ran much better and some ammo ran better but the Winchester still had a few misfire problems. I have made no mods or changes on it. A few questions.

1) Are these 22’s that picky like I have been reading and need cleaned after every trip or even a few hundred rounds?

2) This has the silencer adapter on it which I will never use and was wondering if I would be better off putting a cap on it that I have read about different places but found no opinion one way or another.

3)Is it worth very carefully polishing the breach? Again, lots of info out there but couldn’t find anything related to my issues just lots of general opinions.

4)I am also having the same issue I have read about that if I fully load the mag the first round will not always eject but if I don’t fully load it there is no problems. This is with me using it so defiantly not limp wristing which someone had mentioned somewhere.

5)Should I just tough it out like I have read and shoot more rounds until it runs smoother?

6)On a side note the damn thing seemed to not be very accurate or shoot very tight groups. Got more than frustrated at myself. Switched to my 9mm shield and went back to tight groups. What the hell is that all about!

Ill be honest I feel like I should have more answers myself but I guess I have always been lucky and never ran into this many issues on the same gun. Spoke with S&W and they are sending me a new ejector, spring and pin which I will have someone with a lot of experience swap out if needed. I have some close up pictures of the ejector if you want me to upload them. I really don’t want to be shipping it back for repair with such a long turnaround time. Since there is so much experience on here I am sure you guys can teach me a lot of things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg case1.jpg (104.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg case2.jpg (24.7 KB, 56 views)