View Single Post

Old 10-09-2020, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Liked 48,559 Times in 9,216 Posts

I don't think we should be so hard on them. People have different likes. They have a right not to care about inherited guns, don't they? Like Sig said above, parents have things that don't interest us, like bird figurines. My mother collected glass shoes. She had a wonderful collection built over many decades in a very large display cabinet. I'm just not that interested.....

Another side of the coin-
Decades ago, a very prim and proper old lady, very well dressed, walked into my shop. I asked if I could help her. She said "Do you know anything about guns?" I smiled and said I might be able to help her. She plops her large purse up on the counter and pulls a 1911-A1 Rem-Rand out, in a very nice custom calf shoulder holster. She says "This was my husband's in WW II. Officers were allowed to keep their pistols and he brought it home." I said "Uh-huh"
She goes on- "He had this holster made in Italy during the War. Here's a picture of him wearing it." She had a pic of him sitting in a jeep with the holster and 45 clearly visible, dated on back with location and his name.
Her- "So, do you know what it is?"
Yes, ma'am.
"Do you buy such guns?"
Yes, ma'am.
"What would you pay for it?"
$450 (this was decades ago, and I WANTED the gun. It was GORGEOUS)
"My nephew wants it, but he said it was worth $300"
Well, ma'am, family comes first, so maybe a nephew should get it at a discount.
"Humph! I'll see if he wants it for $400." She put it in her purse and stomped out.
A few days later, she brought me the gun and holster. I asked for the pic.
"NO, I'm not giving you the pic." I explained the historical significance of keeping the provenance with the gun, and offered to pay her $50 to let me have it copied. No dice, but I bought the gun.
The Following 34 Users Like Post: