View Single Post

Old 10-11-2020, 12:17 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,779 Times in 1,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
First, it is probable that If you collect antique or vintage firearms, as I do, one or more pieces came from an heir who decided they didn't want their father's or grandfather's old gun. They had to have, and this is an OPPORTUNITY, to collect quality firearms.
I popped into this thread to say just this.

I would add that I feel it important to try to grab as much information about the past owners as possible, and try to do so on all my guns as I have the time and bandwidth to do it. Even if their families don't appreciate the guns, the guns can sometimes tell those outside the family who the owners were. I feel like with the really good guns this is a big part of the fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfors View Post
They can do whatever they want with my other guns, but it would be nice if some of these classic Smiths stayed in the family, just because they are works of industrial art that will never be duplicated.
Industrial Design is appreciated, and I think will become more appreciated as time moves forward.

My plan is to amass a collection of guns that are beautiful pieces of industrial design, coupled with artisan level craftsmanship in after market grips (where the originals are lost), and all the history I can attach to them.

If my child(ren hopefully) is/aren't interested in the guns themselves, nor the history, nor the artistry, then so be it, I intend the auction of my collection to be a good one.

Between the craftsmanship of S&W, and amazing nature of the SWHF, I feel like the majority of my collection will likely always be S&Ws along with accessories. But back to mrcvs' point; without others being uninterested in their family's guns, I'd never have the opportunity. So if the time comes and my kids are more interested in other things, I'll do my best to remember this and not be sad about it.
The Following User Likes This Post: