View Single Post

Old 10-12-2020, 01:11 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,669 Times in 642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee_Kamp View Post
My PC 500 10.5" Hunter had those marks on the underside on the topstrap and on the cylinder.

I had purchased some of the Hornady 300 grain FTX ammo and shot it all up. (three or four boxes) Some months later I got a phone call from my local gunshop. They had been contacted by Hornady, apparently there was a recall for that particular lot of ammunition. Overpressure.

I wasn't real happy that I had fired overpressure ammo in my PC 500. But it is what it is.
There weren't any overpressure indications when firing that ammo. No loose primers, no pierced primers, no difficulty with extraction.

Hornady sent me hundreds of FTX 500 projectiles at my request instead of replacing the defective ammo. (which had been fired)

S & W Performance Center said as long as the revolver was intact, accurate, and exhibited no lockwork timing issues, it was their belief that no permanent damage had been done.

I believe that the cylinder "grew" enough to touch the underside of the topstrap. The surfaces are bead blasted stainless steel.
It's pretty easy to see where the surfaces touched.
Mine looked EXACTLY like yours.
Guys your cylinder is not expanding enough to contact the back strap.

If the extraction of the brass was not sticky then your gun was not exposed to any over pressure. I have pressure tested many 500 loads and extraction is fine to about 62k after which it becomes sticky or worse.

The gap between your cylinder and the top strap (typically .115 to .130) is greater than the thickness of the cylinder at its thinnest. Cylinders do expand some but in the range of .00001 and would require a strain gauge to measure.

The elasticity of your cylinder would be exceeded is was expanded to contact the top strap.

If you believe your gun has issue call the service department (1-800-331-0852) and get return sticker and have S&W inspect/ repair the gun.

Remember powder/gas residue is being pushed by roughly 55,000 PSI and the BC and residue is going to take some effort to remove.

Fine machine marks are going to natural point of accumulation.
Continued use of Lead Away cloth or similar will smooth these areas over time and residue accumulation will be less noticeable and a little easier to remove.

Welcome to world of the super magnums.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: