View Single Post

Old 10-12-2020, 03:21 PM

Liked 30 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruggyh View Post
Guys your cylinder is not expanding enough to contact the back strap.

If the extraction of the brass was not sticky then your gun was not exposed to any over pressure. I have pressure tested many 500 loads and extraction is fine to about 62k after which it becomes sticky or worse.

The gap between your cylinder and the top strap (typically .115 to .130) is greater than the thickness of the cylinder at its thinnest. Cylinders do expand some but in the range of .00001 and would require a strain gauge to measure.

The elasticity of your cylinder would be exceeded is was expanded to contact the top strap.

If you believe your gun has issue call the service department (1-800-331-0852) and get return sticker and have S&W inspect/ repair the gun.

Remember powder/gas residue is being pushed by roughly 55,000 PSI and the BC and residue is going to take some effort to remove.

Fine machine marks are going to natural point of accumulation.
Continued use of Lead Away cloth or similar will smooth these areas over time and residue accumulation will be less noticeable and a little easier to remove.

Welcome to world of the super magnums.
ruggyh,
It did cross my mind you may be speaking metric.
I don't want to derail the OP's thread.
But I did get my PC 500 10.5" out of the safe and went and got a feeler gauge set. I measured the gap between the cylinder and the underside of the top strap. At the rear of the cylinder just forward of the cylinder locking notches, a 0.004" feeler gauge passes through the gap. A 0.005" does not.
A sheet of computer/copy paper will slide in the gap with drag.
Anyway, my PC 500 DID NOT have the marks illustrated above until my revolver fired 3 to 4 boxes of the Hornady FTX ammo that was recalled for overpressure. Hornady specifically said DO NOT fire the ammo that was recalled. But that warning was too late for me as I had already fired it all.