View Single Post

Old 10-12-2020, 05:26 PM

Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Bob View Post
Just to clarify - There are no Target, Standard and Combat models of the 686. There are features that may have come on the gun meant to enhance it for a particular application. Target hammer has a wide spur. Target grips extend past the bottom of the grip frame and fill-in behind the trigger. Magna stocks follow the grip frame and combat stocks have finger grooves. Target triggers are wide and have serrations whereas combat triggers are wider than standard, but narrower than target and are smooth faced. The adjustable front sight referred to in this thread was used on guns suitable for Metallic Silhouette or PPC competition, dependent on barrel length. You would find combat oriented features on shorter barrel guns while more target oriented features would be found on the longer barreled versions. I just don't think That I have ever heard gun models designated as "Target", "Combat" or "Standard" - just the features found on a particular gun. Just my $.02 Adios, Pizza Bob
Pizza Bob! Thanks for your input, need more investigation.
RGNewell's above first post declared my 357-686 8-3/8" gun is a Target version.
I have studied many videos including Big Swoll58's many YouTube posts on Smith Wesson revolvers including some that focus on the 1980s 686. He shows 686's with three different factory ordered triggers ~ thin with no checker/serration, thin with serration and wide with checker/serration ~ three different factory grips and three different factory hammers.

Pizza Bob, Big Swoll58's descriptions are similar as your descriptions.
Just guessing some owners have nicknames for Target, Regular and Combat.
Maybe not on the S&W official order form, and I do not know
if all variations could be factory ordered on 8-3/8" 686's

Pizza Bob. Thank you for the input.
I need to keep investigating. Toppscore