View Single Post

Old 10-12-2020, 07:36 PM
US Veteran

Liked 24,923 Times in 8,532 Posts

My drill rifle as a Marine Corps midshipman was a Remington '03A3. IIRC, it had a 7-43 barrel stamping.

My first stop as a LEO was a small sheriff's office, where each deputy furnished his own sidearm. I carried a 1911 clone, a S&W 1917 and a M27 converted to .44 Special. Next, I worked as a correctional officer. No weapons were carried inside, of course, but when I worked the towers, there was a smorgasbord of guns. There were M10s, a double barrel Savage 12 gauge, an M1 carbine, a Remington 760 .30-06, a Remington pump 12 gauge and probably another odd weapon or two that I can't remember.

When I started with my PD, it was privately owned sidearms. I carried several big bore revolvers in .44 Special, ,45 Colt, .44 Magnum, .41 Magnum and .45 ACP. Mostly, I carried a full sized 1911 that I built on a aluminum frame. Around the 1990s, we had several officers that were hired that couldn't afford to buy a handgun and the city dipped into the closet of abandoned and confiscated firearms and issued out a revolver or semiauto. Then the decision was made to make these guns available to all of the officers. Over the years, I had a variety of sidearms. I had a Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog, a Colt PPS, a Colt 1917, a S&W 1917 and a nickel Colt Cobra .38 special. I tried to buy the Cobra and the Colt 1917 when I retired, but no go.

After retirement, I went to Kosovo for two years. My issue handgun was a Beretta M9 9mm. Then I went to Afghanistan for three years where I received another M9 and eventually a Bushmaster M4 with the 3 shot burst feature.

Coming home, I worked private security in a Federal office building, where the issue pistol was a Glock M17 in 9mm. After 7 plus years, I retired for good and now I don't need no stinkin' issued guns.
John 3:16
WAR EAGLE!
The Following 8 Users Like Post: