View Single Post

Old 10-13-2020, 07:18 PM

Liked 2,173 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG34/bar View Post
Frankenstein, I think you have an older re-blued Brazilian model. I say that because your 2nd picture showing the hammer indicates that your hammer has the S&W patent warning on the rear. I’ve had many 1917 S&W revolvers over the years (bought my first one in 1959), and none of the US marked revolvers had the patent info on either the hammer or the trigger.
Later era commercial models built with the more squared off rear sight will also have the patent marks on the hammer and trigger. My true commercial (non-Brazilian) example does have them and it is in the 1819xx serial number range.

The 1937 contract Brazilian M1917 examples built on commercial frames of that era are typically identical to the commercial S&W examples with the exception of them having the added Brazilian crest on the sideplate.

Once again the OP's example exhibits just about every later era commercial trait I can think of with the exception of it having the WWI era inspection stamps on it's barrel and frame.

I will make sure to keep the OP's example in the back of my mind when inspecting commercial and Brazilian M1917 examples.

Last edited by tenntex32; 10-15-2020 at 01:29 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: