View Single Post

Old 10-16-2020, 01:57 PM

Liked 2,881 Times in 851 Posts
Default Collectability of Model 15-4

Hi all. I have a question about the collectability of an unfired since it left the factory, nickel-plated Model 15-4.

I just bought this item from a forum member here. (Props to member "rone". The item was received exactly as described, and the whole transaction could not have gone more smoothly.) The serial no. is 265KXXX, which I believe dates it to 1982. (Is this correct?)

I bought my first Smith revolver a few months back - a new 6" Model 686-6 Plus Deluxe. I wanted a nice blued 4" K-frame (like a model 19) for my next purchase, but this one came up in the For Sale forum so I jumped on it. My intent for buying the Model 15 was to shoot it, even though it was advertised as being unfired since it left the factory. Upon inspection, I definitely believe this to be true, and it's so nice now I'm not so sure about firing it.

This is not a "Do I Shoot it or Not?" thread. If it were, I know half of you would say, "Shoot It", half would say, "Don't Shoot It", and the other half would say, "Who Gives a Rip". Being new to Smith revolvers, I don't know how collectable the Model 15 is. I know they don't bring huge money. I know there were many thousands of them manufactured and used by numerous enforcement agencies for many years. Are they a desired collectable? Thanks in advance for your insights.

Also, there are two stickers on the butt of the grips, as seen in the picture below. The previous owner thought they might be manufacturing inspection stickers. Can anyone verify?

Here are a couple of pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15-4 Left 800.JPG (225.9 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 15-4 Right 800.JPG (236.4 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg 15-4 Grip Stickers 800.jpg (113.3 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by ZGrand; 10-16-2020 at 02:12 PM.
The Following 13 Users Like Post: