View Single Post

Old 10-17-2020, 11:05 AM

Liked 2,173 Times in 836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpg View Post
Dumb question:

I don’t know what “soft fitting “ or “hard fitting” is.

I’ve tried the search function here with no luck.

Would one of you gentlemen tell me what these terms refer to and elaborate on the change from one to the other? I’d really appreciate it.
An explanation by Mr. Jinks...........

Gun Trader's Guide to Handguns: A Comprehensive, Fully Illustrated Reference ... - Google Books

I have read this description a few times over the years and I have to add a few assumptions.....

First, with regards to soft fitting and the description provided by Mr. Jinks in the link provided above, I am to assume that after the parts were soft fitted they were removed prior to being serialized. It doesn't say this specifically but since it was stated the revolvers were assembled twice this assumption must be made.

Second, with regards to hard fitting I am to assume that if the gun was assembled only once (and after the parts were individually blued) that the fitting was done after the parts were finished. This seems odd to me as it seems to invite the risk of damaging the parts' finish during hard fit/assembly. Maybe they were extremely careful during assembly or any part with a finish that was damaged was removed and refinished only to have to be installed yet again?

This brings another question..............if the intent was to only assemble the revolver once during manufacture why blue the parts individually? Why not hard fit the parts in the white and then blue the entire assembled revolver (minus any parts that were not to be blued) in a single process so as to avoid color differences? You aren't serial numbering the individual parts any longer so why not finish it as a mostly assembled revolver in a process similar to the old style that provided a more uniform bluing overall?

I'm sure there is a simple explanation but I am curious as to the why.

Last edited by tenntex32; 10-17-2020 at 11:24 AM.