View Single Post

Old 10-17-2020, 04:31 PM

Liked 56 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfool View Post
I have that same holster in 4 and 6 inch N frame versions. They are a nice holster, but I don't use them often. In my experience, they need a stiff and tight belt to prevent flopping around, and like you experienced, tend to put a lot of pressure in a narrow spot against your hip.

These days when I woods walk with my N frames, or about any heavy handgun, I like a pancake style holster, one that rides with the cylinder about belt height. It spreads the weight out, less flop, and less of a narrow pressure point on your hip. Avoid the super high ride, concealment versions, as they seem a little unbalanced with a heavy gun, and draw can be awkward for some.

A chest rig is also a good choice, but some people like them, and some have a hard time getting used to them. Simply Rugged makes good versions of both types.

That .44 is perfect medicine for any trouble you might find in the woods, 2 or 4 legged. I like a 240 SWC at about 950 fps. Hits harder than a .45 acp ball load, and is controllable. You probably have more chance of running into trouble with a meth lab, or a pot grow than a lion or bear, but the gun will handle either.

Larry
You nailed it... seems like the whole weight of the weapon and holster rides on a dime-sized space.