View Single Post

Old 10-17-2020, 07:59 PM

Liked 203 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo288 View Post
My first handgun was a 7.5" Redhawk in 44 magnum.
It's quite pleasant to shoot with full power loads (24gr W296/240gr bullet).
Then I got a 6" 629-1 and while having a little more recoil was controllable as well.
Deciding I needed a more compact 44 for carry, a 4" 629-2 tapered barrel "Mountain Revolver" made it's way here.
The recoil is stout but the muzzle flip was outrageous and approached 90°.
This made me consider and finally send it in for MagNaPorting.
Glad I did.
The muzzle flip is mostly gone and the recoil quite controllable as it is now almost straight back.

Maybe this is unusual but cleaning has not been all that different from any other revolver.
The ports themselves autoclean if a couple of full power jacketed loads are fired.
I have never noticed anything built up in the ports.
The edges are as sharp as the day it came from MagNaPort.
There are slight smudges of lead on the side of the front sight blade but nothing that gets in the way of operation.
Not wanting to affect the frosted bead blast finish I have not gone to any great lengths to clean these off.
I don't clean the burn rings off the front of cylinders either.
See what you think.
This is after years of occasional firing.
Several hundred rounds of lead and jacketed.
I never kept count.
Sweet setup I’ve cleaned it twice like I clean all my other’s and find you to be spot on just the small dap on barrel remains which it’s a shooter so who cares the recoil is definitely stout for me but tolerable my other 44 is a 629 fully lugged classic hunter 6” so a bit more gun there to soak it up. I appreciate the feedback looks like a Mernickle holster on the stand if I’m not mistaken I have a couple for my Ruger Single actions.