View Single Post

Old 10-18-2020, 12:39 AM

Liked 862 Times in 379 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinman View Post
High Wheelers are not for the faint of heart. My uncle had a few and tried to teach me how to ride, I did finally get the hang of it but it is tricky. The only suspension is the springs in the seat, hard rubber tires. If you remember back to your days of riding a tricycle, remember you could go much faster by standing on the step between the wheels and pushing with you foot, not unlike riding a skateboard. Like a tricycle there is no brake if you override the pedals which is a highly dangerous technique. On downhill sections where your speed overrides the pedals you can put your legs over the handlebars in case you get in a rut, hit a rock or anything that inhibits the large front wheel from turning, this is where "doing a header" comes from because you will be launched over the handlebars head first, with your legs over the handlebars you can at least hit the ground feet first.
It was all about 'Safety Bicycles' by then though! ( Which we may be sure, everyone was quite happy about! )...1890s through 'teens...

I used to see lovely original garage-kept 1890s through 19-ohs Bicycles for sale cheap at the old Pomona Swap Meet back in the late 1980s though mid 1990s, and oddly enough I remember buying one for 80 bucks, but I can not remember for sure what happened with it..!

I remember buying it, inspecting it closely, being SO happy...they had such lovely details and engineering...wacky Brakes usually...but who cares?

I t-h-i-n-k I gave it to a girlfriend at the time, darn it...

Ohhhh, eeeeesh!

Last edited by Oyeboteb; 10-18-2020 at 12:40 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post: