View Single Post

Old 10-18-2020, 09:06 AM
US Veteran

Liked 5,714 Times in 1,411 Posts
Default Letters - more than just ship date - share what you can

I believe the rules are pretty clear - no links or data from live auctions, or gun ads that are currently for sale. To me this would include websites like Armslist where private sellers as well as pawn shops and FFL's list guns with pics (yea...sometimes with a Letter pic).

On the other hand I have Lettered many of my collection just to read what Roy (THE S&W Historian) has to say about the model, its' inception date, basic history, sometimes some comments, and then of course, exactly when and where my particular gun was shipped. Accompanying invoice or other commercial correspondence if available is an added plus.

Personally, I have no problems posting some of my Letters if they seem they might be interesting to other Forum members. Sure...I've paid money for them, but researchers & historians need to eat too, and maybe....just maybe....casual readers of the Forum will get the bug and say "I want this type of info on my gun too" and we maybe...just maybe "gain another Member" to SWCA/SWHF. Aside from the above, I believe it is also one of the missions of SWCA to preserve and foster the sharing of historical information about S&W.

Example(s) OP is looking for info about or near s/n 633XXX. Since it is a K Frame then 22's fall in this sequence is my understanding, so my K22 Outdoorsman (First Model) w/sn 637749 shipped Nov. 29, 1931 to EK Tryon in Philadelphia PA.

Please note that the very first K22 Outdoorsman was s/n 632132 and was given to Douglas B. Wesson on January 3, 1931. This is the "interesting" additional info that comes with a Factory LOA.

Full disclosure: I sold this gun some years back to another Forum Member, and I do cover and scan the original letter to remove personal name and address before posting so I don't believe I'm violating any rules by posting again.

On the Shapleigh Hardware gun(s) in St. Louis, MO, I believe they have been involved with major firearms sales and distribution going back to the turn of the century, and maybe before as the Letter for my 22/32 HFT shows shipping to Shapleigh on September 20, 1915. I acquired this gun in pristine condition with original numbered box and tools and this is another one I would love to be able to find the original owner or descendants, as the gun has sat seemingly untouched for over 105 years, and who knows...if you watch this Forum you will see that one like it turned out (on a LOA request) to have been an Annie Oakley gun....another benefit of being a Member of SWCA...The Journal!

Anyway, enjoy the Letters and info, and keep asking... from answers you get on this Forum you may find more than you guessed you would.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg K22 left side.jpg (34.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg K22 right side.jpg (30.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg S&W 22-32 U.jpg (53.5 KB, 11 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Letter K 22 Outdoorsman posting.pdf (492.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: pdf LOA posting 22-32 HFT.pdf (671.7 KB, 13 views)
SWCA#3083, SWHF#570
The Following User Likes This Post: