View Single Post

Old 10-18-2020, 09:41 PM

Liked 8,931 Times in 4,140 Posts

It might be pointless to post this because of the lot-to-lot variance in cheap bulk ammos, but...

About three years ago, I used two pretty much out-of-the box .22 rifles and fired five, five-shot groups at fifty yards with about twenty-five or so .22 long rifle ammos, standard and high-velocity. No expensive target ammo was used. Instead, I tried the sort of ammunition most of us might buy.

CCI-SV was my standard for judging the other ammunitions' accuracy. Average for both guns (ten groups) was .67". One rifle was a Winchester 52 reproduction with a 6X scope, the other a Ruger 77/22 with a 4X scope.

I had heard others whine about how Federal AutoMatch and Remington Thunderbolt were horrible ammos. The AutoMatch did .68", the Thunderbolt .90". Remington Golden Bullet did 1.12". Winchester Wildcat, the very worst, averaged 1.44". Winchester "235" did 1.06". These are all "bulk" ammos. I'm sure there were flyers in a number of groups. Without them, of course, groups sizes would have been smaller, but I was quite surprised at the accuracy of Federal AutoMatch. Perhaps I got hold of the only good batch of this ammo ever produced.

When the shortages are over and you're looking for the best accuracy from bulk ammo, you have to try many in your gun. If you find one that groups well, see if you can get more of that same lot. Worth a try. Or, buy better ammo.
The Following User Likes This Post: