View Single Post

Old 10-22-2020, 04:35 PM

Liked 1,242 Times in 536 Posts
Default Be Wary of 4831 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada Ed View Post
If by chance you use 4831 powder..........
Hodgdon has some "Short cut" that is smaller in size and tends to meter better through a powder thrower.

I don't care about metering, I just dump, trickle and dump into a case, no matter how long it takes me.
I use any powder and am just glad that I have it.

For 20 years I just loaded for best "Groups" at 100 yards with the different type of powders and primers that I had........
staying under the maximum loads in my manuals.

As I got older, I learned that a 90% load killed a deer just as quick as a full load "Teeth Chattering" 100% maximum load that had all the recoil that you could get.

A chrony is not mandatory but it can add extra data, for you.

You might also check the rifles bedding and the odds and ends while you are at it.

Good shooting.
My load workup experience with 4831 SC gave me pause, at least in a .270 Winchester. Loads well under maximum flattened and extruded primers around the firing pin and extracted stiff. Could be many factors other than 4831 SC, but it seem intuitive that a powder with smaller granules burns faster. Don't know if Hodgdon lowers the nitroglycerine content to compensate for the higher surface area per unit weight, but my experience (only in one .270 Win.) indicates to proceed with caution, but you would do that anyway.