Thread: S&W 19 & 66
View Single Post

Old 10-26-2020, 07:09 AM

Liked 3,964 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hair Trigger View Post
I took another look at the cylinder breech face on your M66; I now see what you're talking about; there is an "extra" ring of metal around the rear rim of the cylinder, and then the chamber recesses. My M19-3 is the same way, but my other three magnums are N-frames, and they don't have the "extra" bit of metal. I can only surmise it is a K-frame magnum characteristic, but I don't know whether it carries over to the non-recessed cylinders. I don't think it does. Please excuse the nasty condition of my M19, I had just brought it home from purchasing it and took pictures before I cleaned it. Compare the M19-3's cylinder with a M28-2, M57, and M29-2, all P&R.
Brother Trigger, you're comparing an N-frame, which has a larger cylinder and therefore more room between chambers, to a K frame, which has much less room between chambers. The cuts to recess on the K, therefore, "overlap," for lack of a better term, where the increased size of the N means the recesses are further apart and much more defined.
A K-22 has more defined recesses because the .22 is, of course, much smaller than a .38/.357, so there is more territory between chambers. Hope this helps!

OP, your taste in revolvers is superb! Congratulations on some great finds (and my condolences to your wallet!)
The Following 3 Users Like Post: