View Single Post

Old 10-26-2020, 03:46 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan the Butcher View Post
My suggestion would be; go to the Sierra and look at the load at the bottom of the section for that bullet, the accuracy load. Find the H322 line and go to that accuracy velocity and use that charge.
I don't believe that bullet has a cannelure, be sure to use a pretty stout taper crimp! COAL on all 223 AR's is 2.25" Max.
Ivan
Ivan, that sounds like a plan! Accuracy Load = VV N133 @ 23.5gr = 2,900fps

My preloaded (30each) mags have 24.0gr and 24.9gr.
At 23.8gr Sierra says ~2900fps (20in barrel), so... my 24.00gr load may be very close to that 2,900fps. THOSE should be just fine. What I am wondering about is the 24.9gr work-up load. Other than Sierra, all other sources say 23.5gr MAX.

AND YES, Engineer1911 is quite correct that I have zero experience, not having fired any of these loads once at this point. I have valued his advice for quite some time now, and agree. FWIW, I am just a scaredy-cat 68yr old man with prior experience with +55 broken bones, mostly ribs, back, and know all too well about being on a ventilator for over two weeks, less than 5yr ago.
Not wishing to repeat that experience, I am keeping as low a profile as I can. I have even curtailed my Harley riding this year, for the same reason...
Last I checked, Texas ranked number two, behind CA, in having most covid-19 cases...

Accounting for the length of the barrel 20in vs 16in and roughly 100fps loss, load data suggests 24.5gr for 20in barrel at 3,000fps. So, if I figure this reasonably correctly, my 16in barrel will push ~2,900fps at 24.5gr... smack dang between the two test loads I have waiting to shoot... Sounds safe enough to blindly load a batch. Not looking for BR competition, just reliable and reasonably accurate.

All said and done, I have just re-furbed my shot-up HG range target at home, and dug out the lead. At least I can get back to that with gusto, not overly paranoid with a mask, just ear plugs! Trying to keep safe AND keep shooting.
The Following User Likes This Post: