View Single Post

Old 10-27-2020, 10:17 PM

Liked 3,183 Times in 896 Posts

Over the past twelve months my wife and I have probably shot two dozen bulk packs (550) of red box Federal we bought at Walmart. We’ve also shot a good amount of various other brands. We have probably More than a dozen rifles ranging from new Henry carbines to Winchester 62A’s and Ruger 10/22’s and some old Remingtons. We also shoot out a variety of S&W, Ruger & Browning auto pistols and Ruger and Smith revolvers. We’re just plungers basically shooting steel and some paper. Just guessing we might have had a half dozen failures with the Federal. Pretty much all others have been equally reliable. The only obviously low power round was a single round of Federal my wife fired a week ago.

Accuracy seems, at least for us, to be more a function of the gun/barrel we’re shooting out of. Just like other guns some ammo groups better out of one one and not out of another. Each of our guns seem to have favorite ammo that performs the best. Some guns it doesn’t seem to make a lot of difference as far as accuracy and others are really finicky.

Just recently I’ve gotten into shooting a Ruger precision 22wmr. I tested about 10 different brands and loads and I was stunned at how much difference accuracy carried. At 100yds Hornady v-max 30gr shot a sub 1/2moa and Federal patterned like a shotgun giving about a 4” group of 5 shots. CCI v-max was close to the Hornady and Winchester a close 3rd but had poor QC issues.