Thread: The 38 Super
View Single Post

Old 10-31-2020, 12:05 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,562 Times in 5,845 Posts

I too am a fan of the 38 Super cartridge and I own several firearms chambered for it. I am even in the middle of building a 38 Super Detonics for pocket carry

I have never purchased any ammunition that is watered down nor have I hand loaded any

I have found that my 38 Supers are much more accurate than their 9MM brothers. They even sound better when being fired.

While it never really caught on, you could convert your 38 Super to fire 9x23 Winchester.

When Colt failed to sell the 9x23 Chambered 1911s they offered the top ends with one magazine at a VERY nice price. Back then I built up this one on a spare stainless frame that I had.

This cartridge operates at 55,000 PSI and is just wonderful to shot. The exterior of the cartridge is the same dimensions as the 38 Super so all steel framed guns are potential donors for conversion. However, the interior of the cartridge is significantly different. Winchester claims this is the strongest hand gun brass they had ever made (statement was before the S&W 500s came out).

The standard factory load is a 124/125 grain projectile that safely chronographs out of my 1911 right at 1500 FPS. The original loadings were with WAP

The 9x23 Winchester even shines in revolvers'. I not have two 8 shot 627s that are set up for 9x23 Winchester

Both of these revolvers have their original 357 Magnum cylinder untouched. I rechambered a second cylinder for each gun.

I just recently setup the 627 V-comp thinking it might make a nice revolver for pin shooting. There should be plenty of gas volume to make the comp effective

Last edited by colt_saa; 10-31-2020 at 12:09 PM.
The Following 12 Users Like Post: