View Single Post

Old 10-31-2020, 12:27 PM

Liked 21,542 Times in 6,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Up until the 1980s or so, there was a Pistol Match held in the UK during the Nationals at Bisley called "Classic Service Pistol".

It followed the International Centerfire course of fire, using the 50 meter Free Pistol target set at 25 meters. This, of course, was fired one-hand bullseye style. It was a demanding match, requiring both precision and the ability to deliver sustained fire within the time limits.
Here's the rub: the pistol had to be a legitimate unmodified service pistol designed and manufactured before Armistice Day, Nov. 11, 1918.
There were the usual suspects: DWM Lugers, S&W 455s and 1917s, Colt 1911s (but the 1911a1 was not allowed!), plus many oddballs such as the Steyr 1910.
Some of these were good choices because they were available, relatively inexpensive and capable of shooting a winning score.
But, two of the favorites (at least for those who could find and afford them) were the Artillery Luger and the Webley Fosbery.

I hope you get to shoot yours!
Nice catch!
My club in Maryland has a variation of this called the "Great Wars Match." It extends to cover military handguns from World War I through the end of World War II. This will be helpful in the event one of these shows up.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: