Thread: The 38 Super
View Single Post

Old 10-31-2020, 04:27 PM

Liked 29,144 Times in 14,091 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock185 View Post
My experience with 9X23 Winchester in .38 Super pistols is similar to DWalt's. I haven't shot thousands of rounds of 9X23 Win., but have used factory and reloaded 9X23 with no issues whatsoever in my pistols.

Using well supported, ramped, barrels in 1911 type pistols, duplicating factory 9X23 Win. factory ballistics in 38 Super/Super Comp brass is easily achieved. I do prefer the relatively slow AA-9 powder for top loads.

FWIW, experimenting with Col. Cooper's Super 9/"Super Cooper" cartridge years ago, I got to 1625 FPS with a 115 grain bullet before deciding that was enough. I've not done that with 9X23, but suspect it could be done without bending or breaking anything if one desired.
The only concern about using a rimless case in a .38 Super barrel is if it is chambered to headspace on the case mouth. I have a long story about the 9x23 Win as I went through a period in evaluating it as a possible caliber for use in a proposed new USAF pistol back in the mid-2000s. I still have a good supply of 9x23 Win brass (supplied to me by Winchester) back then along with several hundred leftover factory-handloaded rounds using the M882 124 grain FMJ bullet. At that time the then-USAF Chief of Staff decided he wanted his troops to have a handgun more powerful than the M9 Beretta. But he lost his job and that was the end of the project. I was doing all sorts of experimentation with various propellants, charges, and bullets and AA #5 seemed to give the best performance with the M882's 124 grain bullet which we had decided to stick with. Winchester (and I) always used small rifle primers in the 9x23 due to the high working pressures. Winchester was using one of the slower-burning shotshell powders for their 9x23 Win factory loadings, but I don't remember which one. I probably have it in my notes.

Last edited by DWalt; 10-31-2020 at 04:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: