View Single Post

Old 11-03-2020, 07:42 PM

Liked 2,134 Times in 378 Posts
Default Slide #2 continues

Fitting the new rear sight:
I bought a different sight. I got a Heinie Slant Pro low profile. It was the same height as the Fusion but had a "smoother" profile. The sight was on sale on Heinie's website for $25 and shipping was $2 for a total of $27. A company officer attaches her business card to the order in case there is an issue, you can email her directly...I like this company...and I like the sight...a lot.

This time I took my time and used duck tape to protect the spaces I did not want to hit with the file. Also, the duct tape created a "ledge" that I could use to lean the file against and be more precise.

To avoid any dents and prevent the sight for flying and landing on the floor, I used a small piece of wood to drive to sight in and out. That allow me to have better control of the situation.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/bY6**S0M/20200920_215041_resized.jpg[/img]

This sight has a bit more meat than the Fusion, that helped the small gap between the sight and the slide to disappear.

I must say I like a lot how it looks and I believe the sight acquisition would be great.

Taking care of small details:

I started to remove as many marks and imperfections from the slide as I could. I did it carefully, trying not to create a bigger mess than the one I was trying to solve.

Used stones from 600 grit to 1000 grit.

I tried to be careful not to distort the "lines" of the slide

There were some deep marks that bothered me...

So, I did the best I could in them...

Mistakes, mistakes, mistakes...
One night I had a heated argument with my 15 year old daughter, and I got really angry...the best idea I got was to get a beer and "go work on the slide". I was trying to square the flats by sanding them using a marble block using 400 to 600 grit paper...I must have been really mad, because I stroke it so hard that I started to erase some of the roll marks...

That night I went to bed furious...

I erased a bit of the E and a bit of one S. Next day I took it to some local engravers, but none of the could fix it, they wanted to re-do the whole thing and it wasn't an inexpensive job.

I was tempted to erase it all, and have a clean slide. But decided to leave it like that. I will be hard to notice with the "naked eye" and it will serve me as a reminder of not to work on projects when I'm mad.

more to come...

Last edited by guzzitaco; 11-04-2020 at 09:10 AM.
The Following 6 Users Like Post: