View Single Post

Old 11-04-2020, 03:04 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 3,613 Times in 1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenntex32 View Post
The first three pics are of my deactivated/crushed Victory example. It was found at a local gunshow several years ago. I had my young son with me and he somehow convinced me I needed it for my Victory revolver accumulation. (Of course I blame him and not myself!) The seller had $20 on it and in the spirit of horsetrading I haggled him down to $15. It has no markings visible on it's topstrap.

With a little research at the time I found several such examples. Most looked to have had their barrels pinched in a press instead of simply flattened. Typically the cylinders are crushed to a point that also considerably deforms or breaks the topstrap, but if not then additional crushed damage to the frame, especially the triggerguard area, may have been performed.

My example had the cylinder crushed so much that it rendered the frame topstrap severely deformed, and also cracked the frame at the barrel pin. So it's barrel, cylinder, and frame were all 3 destroyed. (It does look as though the thumb latch, mainspring, and lanyard loop may possibly have been salvaged off of my example though.....and hopefully parts of it live on elswhere on a still functioning revolver! )

The last two pics I have attached are from another crushed (U.S. NAVY TOPSTRAP marked, s/n V198xxx) example I found online in which the barrel and cylinder were destroyed in a somewhat similar fashion as mine, albeit it did not deform/crack the topstrap to their satisfaction so they crushed the triggerguard/trigger as well.

I have seen several more similarly deactivated Victory examples floating around in cyberworld. I'd love to see some actual government/military documentation with regards to the actual/approx number that were deactivated in this manner........but I have yet to see or hear of any such documentation. Maybe one of our Victory data compilation guru's can attest to knowing of such?

I guess paying $15 for the world's coolest paperweight isn't doing too terribly awful.

I wish my example still had it's rusty lanyard loop as I would be temped to display it in a ratty old Victory holster with a spare set of Victory grips installed that that I have laying around.
The last two pics are my gun. Thanks for posting them They were all a part of a program to demilitarize weapons and turn them into scrap along with various other types of weapons. The only thing missing off of mine were the grips, which were either removed or just crushed. Probably the latter. I’ve added a set of grips and it is usually the center conversation piece of my display at gun shows. People always want to know if it was run over by a tank. My gun was actually crushed in two directions. Side to side and top to bottom. Guess they wanted to make sure. It’s the only one I never have to strap.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: