View Single Post

Old 11-07-2020, 02:27 AM

Liked 9,324 Times in 3,494 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizontalMike View Post
However, I do know that I will never go through my supply of ~3,500 Sierra MatchKings with my bolt action...

All said and done, I never plan on having to shoot the AR over ~50yd in SD/HD, hence iron sights only. Kind of fun shooting with a bare naked rifle, even with my 68yr old man eyes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorizontalMike View Post
My mistake was attempting to put a slight crimp on my non-cannelure MatchKing bullets. I ended up damaging (bulge) the brass at the shoulder.
Okay, that sound like a good plan. I have some additional input if you like.

You & I are essentially the same age. I've reloaded since the late 60's. I'm a big handgun loyalist & the only other bottleneck centerfire rifle cartridge I currently reload for is 30-06, since the late 70's.

I'd resisted the AR craze until now when my sons though they each needed one, so, being the reloader in the family I got one too.

Right after my one son got his he bought some reloads (200) from the indoor range I shoot at. I had just ordered the pictured supplies above & was waiting on them at the time. I bought the case headspace gage locally, on a whim. Glad I did.

Long story short, the LGS reloads all had to be broken down, resized & prepped, & reloaded with my powder (theirs was unknown brand/weight) & their bullets reseated/crimped BECAUSE none of them smoothly plunked in the gage & the majority was horribly off (not full length sized/incorrectly sized).

I found, in my testing, that it was best to have strong bullet-case tension (by reducing the sizer's expander ball's diameter) & a good crimp to keep the bullet in place when slammed into the AR's chamber by the bolt.

Without those I found that my dummy rounds would either have a shorter COAL" (got pushed in by the feeding ramp) or, more often, a longer COAL" (pulled out by inertia).

Again, I strongly suggest Lee's Factory Collet crimp die. It crimps differently than the traditional 223 crimp die, won't (hasn't for me) bulge the shoulders & is intended for bullets with or without a cannelure.

I've loaded over 1200 rounds in the last 45 days, using only bullets weights with a cannelure, & have not had any issues in the ARs with them.

The Lee collet crimp die I got for my 500 Magnum wasn't too inpressive but this one for the 223 is. Definitely a thumbs up!

Factory Crimp Die 223 - Lee Precision

I've never had a red dot on anything but liked the idea after I played with my son's red dot equipped Sport II. I got a Sig Romeo 5XDR because it gives you the option of either a 2 MOA red dot or a 65 MOA circle/dot reticle.

With the circle turned on you can quickly aim the rifle, with both eyes open, & see the circle thru the sight for near targets.

With the supplied extra base the AR's metal front sight co-witnesses in the bottom 1/3 for the red dot sight, does not interfere with the red dot's operation, & you can still use the AR's metal sights if wanted/needed.

Like you I don't anticipate shooting beyond 50yds either & with older eyes I'm sold on it.

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 11-07-2020 at 02:45 AM. Reason: .
The Following User Likes This Post: