Thread: 5 inch barrel
View Single Post

Old 11-10-2020, 02:49 PM

Liked 2,067 Times in 435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handejector View Post
I agree. Before 1940, I would call the 5" M&P a very common barrel length, perhaps more common than 4". Also remember that it was a popular cop gun length, like the Louisville PD guns we see turn up here.

On another note-
I find it laughable that every 5" Pre 27, 27, and 27-2 on GB has the "RARE" 5" barrel.
I worked in a gun shop in the 70s and actively traded guns on the side then, and ever since. MOST of those models traded at the time were 5". The 3-1/2s were TURKEYS- loud, smoky, twisting, firebreathing little ______ that nobody wanted. You got beat to death when you traded one. The 6s, 6-1/2s, and 8-3/8s were too long to pack handily, so they were less common. Again, MOST of the 27 family floating around back then were 5s.
Lee, I can almost see the sarcasm dripping 😉, but I’m still learning so I’ll bite. From my limited observation, the Model 27 (or pre) in the 3.5” barrel seems to be the most desirable and highly valued. Every time I see one offered the price seems to go up, and they don’t last long.
SWCA #3370 - SWHF #672