View Single Post

Old 11-14-2020, 10:07 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 12,781 Times in 1,815 Posts

No.

No modern bluing is quite right, and the good looking modern reblues will cost you 2 to 3 times what the gun is worth, and not increase the value at all.

I know I may make some enemies but this needs to be said; Ford's refinishes look like hell. They just don't keep the edges sharp and it looks like one of those terrible high polish, but melted looking, Colt blue jobs. Deep dishing on the sideplate seems to be common on many of the guns I've seen them refinish.

If you want to re-finish any S&W that belongs in this sub forum you would be way better served just selling this gun and buying an example with the finish level you want.

Ford's is just fine for reproducing a lot of Colt finishes or with modern guns, and if they don't have to polish they can do a great job putting nickel on a gun. Which is about the only time I'd say it's not a crime to send an old smith to them; if the gun just has no blue left and there's nothing to do but clean it and apply nickel.

By the way, I'm nowhere near alone in my opinion here, but there is a fear of saying this out loud in case feathers are ruffled. I've been around long enough though that I don't mind saying it for all the guys who won't.

To be fair, and this is important, I think Ford's is a good value. I do not want to be unfair to them at all in this, and I don't think I am. The reality is that the work that goes into a proper restoration (what a gun like your's deserves) is significant, and they charge for a re-finish. Not a restoration.

A re-finish is absolutely great for a gun that's already been refinished in the past, but for one that just has honest wear? No, just please don't.
The Following 11 Users Like Post: