View Single Post

Old 11-15-2020, 04:12 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,114 Times in 501 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Corp View Post
Many of my ammo cans are old, probably Vietnam or prior era.

I clean the rubber gaskets on the inside of the lid and then spray heavily with spray silicone. Keeps them sealing for many more years.

If I know it's not gonna be opened anytime soon - I'll toss in a medium-sized desiccant pack.
Seems to work.

My only additional suggestion, for those who threw away the OEM boxes, would be cut up a few cardboard boxes to line the interior of the can (assuming you are worried about ammo clanking around and such).

RE: desiccant packs. I use re-chargeable desiccant packs in my food storage containers to keep the humidity down. One pack is about the size of a boxed bar of soap, and good to use on 15-cubic feet of storage (way more than the Husky dry-sealed storage containers). Ammo-cans, they are so air-tight that they will never fail (IMO) when stored in an inside temp-controlled environment. Geez, I still have a few Remington .222 reloads my father reloaded in the 1950s, and they still shoot fine (obviously after culling out split/cracked necks and such). And these were stored in nothing more than the nightstand for 60-some years.

I still have 5rd left to shoot on a perfect range day, so I can compare my current .222 reloads with. BTW, they are still dead-on at 200yd...
Just sayin'...

Last edited by HorizontalMike; 11-15-2020 at 04:13 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: