Thread: M-1 Carbine
View Single Post

Old 11-16-2020, 10:30 AM

Liked 33,983 Times in 3,679 Posts

Replacing the barrel is not going to be cheap, and you'll need someone who has the specific tools to replace a M1 carbine barrel. I've seen people ruin the receiver when they just stuck it in a vice and tried to twist off the barrel.

I assembled several M1 carbines from scratch using USGI parts as a fun project back in the late 1990's. I could pretty much find all the parts I was looking for at gun shows or on-line, and the only thing I didn't do myself was install the barrel to the receiver. I knew 3 or 4 gunsmiths who were former armorers who had the tools and knowhow to do the job and they'd do it for about 50 bucks back then. Today, those guys are well into retirement or have passed on.

These days a USGI barrel is going to cost $400 to $500+, I just did a quick check on eBay and GunBroker and both had several in this price range. To find someone who can change it out, index it, and headspace the chamber is going to be the challenge. With a barrel replacement these days, you could end up paying close to what it would cost to find another M1 carbine.

I agree that the place to ask this question would be the CMP forum, that's where guys who would do this kind of service would more likely hang out.

Also, I've dealt with Fulton Armory in the past and they used to be able to do this type of work, don't know if they still do or not.