Thread: Mystery bullets
View Single Post

Old 11-16-2020, 03:37 PM
US Veteran

Liked 32,340 Times in 5,474 Posts

While .357" is the nominal diameter for jacketed .38 Special and .357 magnum bullets the actual diameters encountered will vary. I've found and used bullets from .354" to .360" over the years, although I will admit to being cautious about which handguns to use them in.

Similar variations will be found when slugging the barrels of different .38 and .357 revolvers. It is actually a bit unusual to find one that is exactly .357" groove diameter, and chamber mouths can vary widely.

That style of Remington bullet (scalloped jacket edges) was known as the Semi-Jacketed Hollow Point. Remington produced millions of them back in the 1970's and 1980's, and many reloading suppliers offered bulk-packs of the 125 and 158-grain versions. I suspect that some may have been factory "seconds", not meeting the standards for loading into factory ammunition and sold off at very modest prices.

If I had a significant supply of those I think I would try either a 9X19 or .38 Super sizing die set up for my case mouths to enter about 1/2" to 5/8", then use the expander button just enough to allow the bullets to barely enter the case mouths, then seat and crimp as usual.

The only way I would throw them away would be out the muzzle at the range!
The Following User Likes This Post: