View Single Post

Old 11-17-2020, 11:24 AM

Liked 37 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKFC05 View Post
" The data that I used was from LoadData.com. It listed 1.130" as the COAL of their loads tested with that bullet. I later downloaded Sierra's Volume 6 reloading data app to my iPhone. Their data shows an overall length of 1.030", or .1" shorter than LoadData.com's data."

Your problem is the error in the LoadData. The American standard for Minimum chamber size and maximum ammunition is contained in SAAMI drawings. SAAMI
With the Sierra bullet that is fatter up front than the usual secant ogive shape, Sierra correctly shows it loaded shorter to obviate the bullet ogive impinging on the rifling in a SAAMI minimum chamber.
There is no standard for the MAXIMUM Freebore a pistol chamber may have, and in fact they vary widely. Had your first pistol been an STI competition 9mm and you loaded to its maximum, the resulting ammunition would not have functioned in any of the guns you listed. In other words, the STI will accommodate extra long bullets not normally loaded in 9mm.

What you need is a 9mm cartridge gauge, which will assure your reloads will fit any SAAMI spec chamber, not just the gun you happen to have now. About $25, available from many sources.
L.E. Wilson Max Cartridge Ga 9mm Luger
I have a Wilson gauge for 9mm and those rounds dropped in nicely and do not extend above the top of the gauge. However, if I remove the barrel and drop in a round, it does not fully seat. Those Sierra bullets have a different ogive than other 9mm bullets I shoot. That seems to be the main cause of the problem. My M&P just doesn't like them unless they are seated well below SAAMI COAL specs.
The Following User Likes This Post: