View Single Post

Old 11-18-2020, 03:46 AM

Liked 1,497 Times in 787 Posts

I almost got a Win94BB in 444 when they were offered.
The ported 18" with 1/20" twist is particularly interesting in it's contrast to the Marlin.
However I already had/have a nice Marlin 444S (without the bolt safety) that shoots fine and held off.
Later, following Elmer's advice with regards to hunting big animals in the woods,
I added a B. Rizzini double in 444 to satisfy my urge for an exotic 44 and a new reloading challenge.
(Mr. Keith didn't specifically recommend the 444, but he did advocate the use of doubles in the mountainous Idaho woods.)

I would love to see a Senior or Masters mechanical engineering thesis on the relative strengths of the
Marlin and Winchester actions possibly including some testing to destruction.
New Mexico Tech might be a good place to do this.
EMRTC Services and Research
Marlin folks will argue that the M95 type action, with it's closed top, is less flexible and hence "stronger".
The bolt lock is an open question and I have always liked the W92 or the big 86/71 type action as far as Winchesters go.
Big Horn Armory went with an 86/71 style action when they designed a lever gun for the 500 S&W.
I have both 92's and 94's in 44 Mag.
The 92 is a much better action for revolver rounds.
I have to say the Marlin is easier to take apart, work on, and put back together than any of the Winchesters.

Sorry to ramble on, but I don't have much else to do these days.

Last edited by Nemo288; 11-18-2020 at 05:37 AM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: