View Single Post

Old 11-18-2020, 09:11 PM
US Veteran

Liked 375 Times in 138 Posts

Good luck in your new endeavor. I have been loading handgun loads for a few years now and just took up loading for a 6.5 creedmoor. After studying the Lyman, Hornady and Sierra manuals and reading online articles, I was convinced that I needn't use a full length resize as long as I use the cartridges in just that one rifle. Perfect! Less lubing and easier on the brass. So I worked up my first load using Hornady ELD bullets. Really got in the swing of things. They were beautiful! But only half of them would chamber. Talked to Hornady and was told that the ELD and VLD projectiles were problematic as to getting the seating plug to keep them concentric. So I ordered the recommended plug. Still no go. They kept putting a burr on the side of the bullet. Some would chamber fine but many would have a scuff on the side where they entered the chamber. As luck would have it, I had inadvertently ordered a full length die by mistake at some point. I tried that just to gather empirical data and low and behold, it worked great. Haven't figured out the mechanics of the situation, but I've got rounds to go downrange and a collet type bullet puller coming in the mail. Be skeptical of all info and have fun!