View Single Post

Old 11-18-2020, 10:43 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 422 Times in 121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmj8591 View Post
The 06 is pretty straight forward and easy to reload. There is a huge amount of bullets and powders available. The biggest difference is that you will need to lube the cases to size them as they don't generally make carbide dies for bottleneck rifle cases. I like Hornady one shot because it dries and and doesn't cause dents in the case shoulder. Try to go easy on the amount of lube as too much will cause dents in the case shoulder. If you do get dents, they are mostly cosmetic and will come out when you fire the round. The other thing I do is I do the crimp in a separate operation. I seat the bullets then back off the seating stem and do the crimp. It helps to keep the bullet from shaving it's jacket during the crimping/seating. I'm sure you already have a reloading manual but if you don't, they really are indispensable for rifle reloading. I can't remember the last time I bought factory loaded 30-06. I use reloads almost exclusively for target shooting and hunting. Good luck!
Thanks, I do have a couple of manuals but the one I go to the most is the Lyman manual. I currently load .44-40 and .32-20 and crimp in a separate operation on those so I will do the same on my .30-06.

Thanks all for the great advice.

Last edited by Rambler42; 11-18-2020 at 10:47 PM.