View Single Post

Old 11-21-2020, 12:41 PM

Liked 5,780 Times in 625 Posts

There is nothing wrong with this Python. Values on Pythons vary just like Smiths based on a series of variables - year, model variation, condition, box and the rest. This python in 1965 insofar as rarity - Colt made 9,100 units 1965. Not a rare gun. Values of Pythons start with NIB unfired and go down quickly from there. Value. All about who wants the gun. This one can be fired and enjoyed. And Smith brethren snobs, the delicacy of a Python is a bunch of hooey.

Under heavy usage:
"The "weakness" of the old Colt action is the hand that advances the cylinder in the Python also forces the cylinder into tight lockup. This hand is subject to wear and does require repair or replacement when it wears to the point that the timing is off.

In the old Colt action this is considered to be normal maintenance, just like changing spark plugs in a car.

When the hand wears and the action begins to display improper timing, it's time to have the gun serviced by a qualified Colt pistolsmith.

If servicing is delayed, the action can be seriously damaged and the cost of repair can be high."

The best part of a Python? Single action shooting and accuracy as a general statement. I am a serious Reg Mag model 27 kind of guy. I am here to say the evil Colt is a pleasure as a target gun.

Value - This one a 4" is an $1800 tops gun full retail if I wanted a Python as a shooter and I didn't have one.

Last edited by bigl1911; 11-21-2020 at 12:46 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: