View Single Post

Old 11-22-2020, 01:08 AM

Liked 1,721 Times in 630 Posts
Default So I'm Not Selling my .40 M&P....after last night.

Last night was a false alarm, but I'm not now going to sell my .40 M&P, which was my bedside gun.

I've had a full-size M&P in my nightstand for a year or so. It's got nice bright night sights, a rail (with a flashlight attached) and the previous owner had a full Apex kit installed. It's a real good gun, perfect for when aroused suddenly from sleep.

But I was thinking of selling it (my only striker-fired firearm) and replacing it with a 4566TSW that's in the safe. Thought about using the money for something Colt revolverish as a range toy.

But last night, after our motion-activated lights went on around 2:45 am, I reached into the drawer, picked out the .40, and went to cautiously look to see what was happening.

Nothing. The motion light over the front door never came on, the other lights went dim, and there was nothing stirring. Must have been a smallish animal that set them off.

But then at 3:15ish they went on again. So back into the drawer, another cautious look around, and the little critter (a bunny, bobcat [have one in the neighborhood], or restless raccoon ?) must have been going "home" from a half-hour earlier.

And as I was waiting and watching to see if anything was moving, I realized just how "perfect" that M&P was: striker-fired for an easier first shot than my DA/SAs; nice bright night sights, a flashlight attached if I want it, plenty of bullets (extra mag is very handy if I need it), plenty of firepower, and it feels good in my hand. And yes, the 4566 is almost as good, but I'd need new sights and I think the advantage of a striker-fired gun, at 3 am, makes it a better choice if you're suddenly rousted out of bed.

My primary carry guns are DA/SA (Beretta PX4 40 compact; 4013TSW and 4513TSW), but for some reason I have more confidence in them during daylight, when I'm awake and alert.

There's no real point to this little tale, except to say that it sure makes me feel a whole bunch more secure knowing that if something untoward had happened, I would have been at least modestly prepared.
The Following 62 Users Like Post: